The scientific mission of the Max Planck Research Group Rationality Enhancement is to develop a scientific foundation and practical tools for helping people make valuable contributions to society and improve themselves. We are an international, interdisciplinary team comprising cognitive scientists, computer scientists, psychologists, and developers. Working with us is a great opportunity to help people live a better life. We are currently looking for a user interface and user experience designer (m/f/d) who wants to help us design apps that help people set and achieve personal goals, improve themselves, and become more productive. We would like to fill this position as soon as possible.
- Design user interfaces for setting life goals, crafting a hierarchical goal system, yearly planning, monthly planning, and weekly planning, setting daily intentions, and reflection according to the high-level ideas of the researchers.
- Design user interface elements that give the user feedback about their productivity and how they have spent their time
- Write the design specification
- Represent the group in most or all of the interactions with software developers
- Perform quality assurance to ensure that the features are implemented as intended
- Plan, create and conduct usability studies to test and refine candidate designs.
- Analyze results of usability studies and present the findings
- Experience with web design
- Working knowledge of the ideation and creation of UI design deliverables: Sitemaps, user flows, wireframes, lo-fi and hi-fi layouts, prototypes.
- Working knowledge of user interface design tools
- Working knowledge of responsive design and grid principles
- Proactive and independent working style
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Effective time management and the ability to prioritize tasks
- Strong attention to detail
- Genuinely value productivity, goal-setting, and planning
- Working knowledge of English (knowledge of German is not required)
Preferred skills and experience
- Experience with designing mobile applications or mobile-compatible websites
- Working knowledge of user experience design
- Working knowledge of user-centered design
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of data analysis and statistics
- Experience with conducting interview studies and/or field experiments
- First-hand experience with using to-do list, goal-setting, planning, or project-management apps
Depending on the qualification profile of the applicant, the position can be filled either part-time or full-time. The position is initially limited to 6 months. Depending on requirements, success, and qualifications, an extension of a maximum of 1.5 years is possible. The contract term cannot exceed two years in total. Remuneration and social benefits are based on the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD).
The Max Planck Society wishes to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. Max Planck Society is also committed to increasing the number of employees with severe disabilities in its workforce. Applications from persons with severe disabilities are expressly desired. The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity.
How to apply:
To apply, please email a single PDF containing your application documents to
firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2020. This PDF should include 5 documents in the following order: 1) your CV, 2) a cover letter explaining your motivation and highlighting your most relevant skills and experiences, 3) a portfolio of 3 or more work samples that showcase your skills and experience in UI design (e.g., designs you have created and descriptions of projects you have worked on), 4) transcripts of relevant degrees (unofficial documents are fine), and 5) the names and email addresses of two or more people whom you have previously worked for and who can assess your abilities and working style.
Questions regarding the position tasks and conditions should be sent to Dr. Falk Lieder: email@example.com.
Alternatively you may send your application via regular mail to:
Max-Planck Institut für Intelligente Systeme
Dr. Falk Lieder