The scientific mission of the Max Planck Research Group Rationality Enhancement is to develop a scientific foundation and practical tools for helping people make valuable contributions to society and improve themselves. We are an international, interdisciplinary team comprising cognitive scientists, computer scientists, psychologists, and developers. Working with us is a great opportunity to help people live a better life. We are currently looking for a user experience researcher (m/f/d) who wants to help us refine and evaluate apps that help people to improve their focus and productivity.
You will support two ongoing projects that evaluate and refine two apps that help people live a better life. The first project develops and evaluates a desktop app that helps people train their ability to focus on their work. The second project develops and evaluates a web application that supports goal-setting and goal-achievement. Your tasks in these projects will be to
- Design, plan, and organize usability studies and field experiments for testing the app
- Create study materials including screeners, instructions, and online surveys
- Recruit targeted user groups (e.g., participants of writing workshops or working professionals)
- Conduct usability studies and interviews
- Refine the design of the app using a user-centered design approach and/or adapt it to the needs of targeted user groups (e.g., people with attention deficits)
- Identify the users’ pain points and redesign the app(s) to address them
- Formulate design specifications and communicate them to software developers
- Quality assurance: ensure that the design specifications are implemented correctly and test software prototypes
- Conduct field experiments
- Statistical data analysis
- Scientific writing
- Project management
- At least 6 months’ worth of practical experience in user experience research and/or conducting field experiments on human-computer interaction
- Working knowledge of user-centered design and user experience research
- Motivation to identify the user’s pain points and resolve them through design improvements
- Working knowledge of empirical research methods, data analysis, and statistics
- Working knowledge of English (knowledge of German is not required)
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Proactive and independent working style
- Capacity and motivation to work on two projects in parallel.
Preferred skills and experience:
- Experience with running longitudinal studies over periods of several weeks or months
- Experience with scientific writing and publishing
- Knowledge of the literature on executive functions, ADHD, and/or brain training
- Working knowledge of user interface design
- Experience with software development projects
- Time management and project management skills
The position can be filled full-time or part-time. The position is initially limited to 12 months. An extension is generally possible depending on requirements and performance. Remuneration and social benefits are based on the collective agreement for the public sector (TVöD). The Max Planck Society wishes to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. Max Planck Society is also committed to increasing the number of employees with severe disabilities in its workforce. Applications from persons with severe disabilities are expressly desired. The Max Planck Society strives for gender equality and diversity.
How to apply:
To apply, please email a single PDF containing your application documents to
email@example.com by September 30, 2020. This PDF should include 5 documents in the following order: 1) your CV, 2) a cover letter explaining your motivation and highlighting your most relevant skills and experiences, 3) a portfolio of 3 or more work samples that showcase your skills and experience in UX research (e.g., research papers you have written, designs you have created, and descriptions of projects you have worked on), 4) transcripts of relevant degrees (unofficial documents are fine), and 5) the names and email addresses of two or more people whom you have previously worked for and who can assess your abilities and working style.
Questions regarding the position tasks and conditions should be sent to Dr. Falk Lieder: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively you may send your application via regular mail to:
Max-Planck Institut für Intelligente Systeme
Dr. Falk Lieder